I DID IT!

I just got home from running my first 5k, and I did it!  I ran the whole way, didn't walk, and not only that, but I placed second in my age group!  (40-44).  The first place in my age group was only 0.02 minutes ahead of me, so that means it was the girl right in front of me who I considered giving it it a burst of energy and passing her at the end, but never dreamed it would make a difference. 

My time actually wasn't that great - 43:04, but I guess good enough for my age group and the few hundred people that were there.  After only training for two months, I'm actually VERY proud of myself that I set a goal and accomplished it!

The only setback was that I thought I would need an extra "push" and drank a 5 hour energy drink and 3 cups of coffee with not much to eat before the race.  When we got there, I guess caffeine can be a type of laxative because I had to keep using the bathroom.  I have mostly stopped using caffeine, so that was an immense amount of caffeine for me. 

Mark did incredibly well - he ran the 10k and placed 7th overall and 2nd in his age group.  I think his pace was something that seems so insanely fast to me, like 7.5 minutes per mile.  So he got a 2nd place ribbon too!  I'm glad he won something as well, it made our first race together very pleasurable.

I'm not going to lie, it was freaking hard.  It was all I had in me to keep running and not start walking, but I knew if I started walking I would regret it, so I kept running, even if it might have seemed I was running as fast as I might have been walking. 

Mark and I started at the front of the pack and when the buzzer went off, I just ran with everyone else before I realized, I was running WAY too fast and was audibly taking breaths in, like screeching.  I slowed way way down to catch my breath, and then of course people kept passing me, and kept passing me.  I didn't care, I just wanted to finish, and finish running.

So anyways, I did it!  I feel so accomplished!  I don't plan on doing it again next weekend, but maybe next month?

4 comments:

Kristy said...

Congrats!!! Carbs will give you more of an energy boost before a race or marathon.

Patty(iambipolar2) Hauer said...

Congratulations! Running a 5K is awesome, something I would never be able to consider with Fibromyalgia. I am very happy for you!

Parwathy Narayan said...

Good for you! I have bipolar disorder and exercise has helped me so much. It's like a natural anti-depressant. Must've felt good to accomplish that goal. Thanks for sharing!

Kim Serafini said...

I know what it's like to be depressed... not wanting to face reality - because for a thousand reasons if I 'really look at what IS' I'd be freaked out... anxious, angry, fearful, immobilized... That's been the case several times in my life... About 2 years ago I faced just what I described... I thought to myself - OK - if we attract what we focus on - then I MUST see different 'things' and I must 'look for different things' - and that way I can escape and I don't have to LOOK at my dreadful reality... I created a tool for myself... 2 years later, and with the help of some very clever software developers the 'tool' has been revolutionized, analyzed, and made 'quick & simple & easy' for others to USE... the beta-testing has produced astounding results... If you would like to know much more about it: check out - http://iamgr8ful.com/visionandheart.html OR http://www.iamgr8ful.com/enriching_visions_promo.php

Back to Top