What Happened to *Our* Music?

What ever happened to the great music of the early 90's - the "grunge" type of music - when people knew life sucked and they sang about it?  Today's music is all happy and la-la - I mean sure, you throw an Adele in there or a Gotye which is a sad song with a happy melody, or a Maroon 5 "Payphone" that is a break-up song that you can dance to, but I mean where people just sang about how life just SUCKS.  You know - Pearl Jam "Alive", any Stone Temple Pilots, any Nirvana, etc.  Oh, and of course, the song of our generation - "Creep".  Maybe it was a depressing generation - lots of goth, plaid shirts, Doc Martens, but they really "got it".  Life is harsh.  I remember realizing I was depressed when I heard the song "Runaway Train" by Soul Asylum because it was exactly how I felt, word for word, and I knew that was not a good thing, or at the very least, I knew that it was something I didn't want.

I'm tired of looking for houses in the Chicago area - not actually Chicago, but the suburbs.  It's good to know what areas we'd like to live, but really, you can't tell anything from the internet - you have to see the house yourself, the city yourself, you have to be there.  And I have no idea what the relo package is, so it's hard to even estimate what we'll have to move on.  It's a waste of time.

I just hate this limbo period - not knowing what is going to happen next in my life - how soon or how far away - not being able to plan for anything.  Like - I would like to go to the symphony around Christmas, but will we be here in December?  So I can't really buy tickets.  There are so many things like that!  I can't make long term plans because I don't know where I'll be, and it's a very uneasy feeling.  I don't even know if I'll like Illinois, I may hate it to the extreme, but I suppose people are usually afraid of the unknown.  I'm not really that afraid, I just want to know what's going to happen.

It seems like there are a lot more job prospect for me in my field when I graduate in Illinois than there are here, I'll be paying less for school, so those are both win-win.  We'll see what happens.  Who knows, the move could fall through because of the relo package.



Runaway Train - Soul Asylum

Call you up in the middle of the night
Like a firefly without a light
You were there like a blowtorch burning
I was a key that could use a little turning

So tired that I couldn't even sleep
So many secrets I couldn't keep
Promised myself I wouldn't weep
One more promise I couldn't keep

It seems no one can help me now
I'm in too deep there's no way out
This time I have really led myself astray

Runaway train, never going back
Wrong way on a one-way track
Seems like I should be getting somewhere
Somehow I'm neither here nor there

Can you help me remember how to smile?
Make it somehow all seem worthwhile
How on earth did I get so jaded?
Life's mystery seems so faded

I can go where no one else can go
I know what no one else knows
Here I am just a-drownin' in the rain
With a ticket for a runaway train

And everything seems cut and dried
Day and night, earth and sky
Somehow I just don't believe it

Runaway train, never going back
Wrong way on a one-way track
Seems like I should be getting somewhere
Somehow I'm neither here nor there

Bought a ticket for a runaway train
Like a madman laughing at the rain
A little out of touch, a little insane
It's just easier than dealing with the pain

Runaway train, never going back
Wrong way on a one-way track
Seems like I should be getting somewhere
Somehow I'm neither here nor there

Runaway train, never coming back
Runaway train, tearing up the track
Runaway train, burning in my veins
I run away but it always seems the same
 

3 comments:

Flabbergasted Mom said...

Yeah - that was the music I was into back then, and let's not forgot the album where every song spoke to me, Nine Inch nail's "Pretty Hate Machine" when looking at your list.

Most of the music that's big now is more like the mindless, early 90s dance music.

Where you can dance to everything but there's no depth or emotion to any of it.

Compare C&C music Factory's "Everybody dance now" to "Moves Like Jagger" (was that Maroon 5 or a solo effort)

Both catchy, dancy songs.

There are some other sorts of music still being made and coming out, Devin Townsend has a new release coming out - but now it's not part of a mainstream movement like it was back them so you have to look for it.

In regards to the plans for the move... that sucks and moving in general sucks and I have no useful advice for that at all.

The only time I was ever in Chicago (since I am from Canada) was when I attended the very first Convergence (the goth gathering) in '95 -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Convergence_%28goth_festival%29

KansasSunflower said...

Oh yes! Pretty Hate Machine! Love, love, love it Trent Reznor! : ) Isn't it weird he writes scores for movies now and wins awards for it? I guess it's true - "God, money, I'll do anything for you!" : )

I went to a NIN concert but don't remember much of it, I was in the bathroom barfing from too much alcohol...

allisonsaja said...

With you on the music and the waiting. Limbo is torturous. I am also bipolar and also a blogger. Love your tone, so easy to read. I have a ton of posts, but hopefully their titles lead you to the ones that offer common ground. Blessings.

truefornow.blogspot.com

Back to Top