All Set To Go.

My dog did the unthinkable - he bit the mailman.  I'm so used to FedEx and UPS ringing the doorbell then leaving packages at the door as they hike it back to their truck that when their was a loud knock at the door (why he didn't ring the doorbell I have no idea) and I saw the mail truck outside, I just assumed the mailman had done the same.  I opened the door and assumed Bailey would stand behind me like always as I picked up the package and brought it in.  To my surprise the mailman was standing there with a package in his hand.  Before I had time to react, Bailey whipped around me and lunged for the bottom of his shoe and was going to town.  It was just too adorable and funny, but I didn't think laughing would be the appropriate response to give to the mailman as my dog is biting his shoe.  The mailman then shoes me the mark on his leg where he said the last dog that day had bit him.  It looked like it must have hurt and I realized it was not some cliche - the mailman really does get bitten by dogs.  I'm not condoning it, Bailey was a bad boy, but I wasn't expecting to see him at my door or I would have grabbed him when I opened it.  I'm sure it startled Bailey when he pounded at the door instead of ringing the doorbell as well.  It was very embarrassing, but I did laugh about it for awhile when he left.  A 5 pound dog attacking the bottom of someone's shoe for about thirty seconds then jumping back to see if it will retaliate looks pretty funny.  It wouldn't have been funny if Bailey weighed 50 pounds though.  Then I would be telling a completely different story that would probably involve the emergency room.

So we're all set to move to Chicago and be moved into a corporate apartment in Lombard on the 10th of January.  We had one picked out in Elmhurst but that fell through and we liked the one in Lombard next, so that's where we'll be living until our house sells and we buy a new one.  I know nothing about Lombard except people say there are nice restaurants there.  It's small - going from a 3500 sq house to a 759 sf apartment will be very different, but a new experience. Not looking forward to having to walk the dog in a Chicago winter instead of just letting him out into the backyard.  I think he likes his backyard, too.  Oh well, it's not forever.  I am worried about the transition for him.  He is such a little creature of habit and does not do well with any kind of change.  He often gets scared and hides under the bed for the strangest reasons and won't come out, and car rides?  He shakes uncontrollably until he figures out we're on the way home.  I am planning on going to the vet to see if they will give me medication for him for anxiety for the trip to Chicago at the very least.

There's still quite a bit to do to finish getting the house ready to put on the market before we leave for Chicago, but a lot is going to be done by other people, so I'm pretty bored since I'm not in school.  We didn't decorate for Christmas since we're moving - in fact, we threw all of our Christmas things away except for the ornaments that are sentimental to us. It hardly seems like Christmas to me at all this year.  I haven't wrapped a single gift, although I've bought a few.  I'm hoping next year will be very different.  I wonder what my blog post will be like this time next year?  Will I be happier in Chicago?  Will I hate it?  They say wherever you go, there you are.  I don't see why it would make a difference where I live, but yet it could.  One big thing that worries me is school.  If I think I don't fit in at school now, I really don't think I will fit in when I move to Chicago.  I will be a minority, for sure.  I know that as a fact after checking demographics.  Here, I don't fit in for socio-economic reasons.  There, it's still that, but also racial reasons as well.  I wonder how that is going to go?

10 comments:

loonysuse said...

You wouldn't be a minority in Lombard or Elmhurst. I'm familiar with the area. Have you found city-data.com? Addictive website with tons of statistics on every town.

I'm not a "joiner" but my mother always joined clubs like Newcomers when we moved. We moved a lot.

Gledwood said...

Are you sure Bailey is not bipolar? Or hasn't been at the Baileys?? That's very naughty.

You know in this country the postal service is crap. They wouldn't even deliver to us just because we had an overgrown bush in our front garden. They posted a card informing us that because of the bush they were unable to post any letters. Which in this country go straight into the house via a letterbox in the front door.

Anyway I just came by to wish you a VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS indeed xXx

Gledwood said...

Hi. I hope you had good holidays. I've another bipolar question for you: do you ever get rushes of excitement, when you otherwise feel normal, for no apparent reason at all..? I do. They take about 2 hours to come down from. And sometimes I get a feeling like I've drunk about 1000 cups of black coffee, when I've really drunk none. When all this adds up together, of course I get an "episode" of hypomania (I'm pretty sure it isn't full mania). I was hypomanic a week ago, but ever since I've had mild depression and this meaningless excitement nearly every day. Please if you have an answer do tell me here

http://gledwood4.blogspot.co.uk/2012/12/moods.html

I'd be ever so grateful. 1: I want to know I'm "normal"; 2: I am researching a book I want to write on moods and their disorders because I haven't found ANYTHING written for the general public that is anything like descriptive enough.

The only 2 decent texts on bipolar disorders by the way are Emil Kraepelin Manic-Depressive Insanity and Paranoia (1920) and Goodwin & Jamison Manic-Depressive Illness (2007) and they're really for doctors...

Gledwood said...

Also have you seen The Madness of King George? They say it was porphyria but it's a perfect depiction of a manic episode, right down to the "flight of ideas". I've never seen mania portrayed even half convincingly on film, except here.

Some researchers do say he was bipolar 1, others blame the porphyria, which can apparently make you mad (I think the modern diagnosis would be "mania due to a general medical condition). But he could of course have had both... hey, good job it never got passed down the Royal Family... although that Prince Harry seems to act a bit hypomanic in private, doesn't he..?!!

KansasSunflower said...

Suse - Yes, you're right, I meant at school, not where we would be living. At school I will be in the minority racially - it's about 60% black, and I probably still won't fit in socio-ecomomically like I do here at school, but I'm used to that. You're idea about joining a club was brilliant! I looked up the club you suggested and found it was mainly for mothers, but another search came up with clubs for women in Illinois in their cities who do community service. I would definitely do that! : )

KansasSunflower said...

Ha Gledwood, I don't think my dog is bipolar! It's a chiche for a dog to bite the mailman. : ) The postal service here sounds very different than there. Here it they say "rain, sleet, or snow" or something, they will deliver your mail, so basically, no matter what, and I assume that includes a bush! : )

Yes, I get periods of what you describe, but I never know what is "normal" and what isn't. Is it a normal reaction to something that just happened to me? I can usually relate it to something, but my mind works that way even when it's chemical. I will definitely check out your blog!

I have not seen the Madness of King George, but it sounds interesting! Prince Harry may indeed be bipolar - his actions in Las Vegas were a bit bizarre! But maybe people can exhibit poor judgement without being mentally ill. : )

gerald bouthner said...

Best of wishes on your move! Hope all is going well with the selling of the house. Stress of a big move like that can be tremendous. When you have bipolar disorder too much stress can trigger a bad episode. So don't over stress yourself!

Bipolar Alcoholic :-))-: said...

Sounds like you are in for some big changes. Hope all goes well. It is hard adjusting to a new lifestyle, especially for those like us, but the good thing about being in school is you will be able to meet people rather easily that share similar interests as you. Good luck and can't wait to hear about Chicago!

KansasSunflower said...

Thanks BA! Yes, big changes! I do hope to find people similar interests, and at the very least, they will be Midwesterners like myself. So we'll see!

KansasSunflower said...

Thanks Gerald! Yes, I have been stressed and moody, but not as much as my husband! He is not taking this well, and I am the one who is mentally ill! I hope once we move I'll still be okay!

Back to Top